2.10.09

I wish I had more time...


It’s the fifth week of school and already my activity level has dropped like 50 percent. I’m still trying to run so I can drop everything from school, work, and life for an hour so I can think about absolutely nothing. I don’t know about the rest of you, but my brain actually hurts when I get home from school everyday. All I want to do is sit on the couch and read the paper or just watch TV. I feel frustrated and down on myself that I haven’t been hitting the gym and doing weights, but after a few hours of doing work the last thing I want to do is grab my gym-bag. And it’s not like I have so much to do that I’m overwhelmed, I just miss my old routine and now I’m struggling to find one that will work better for me. But I guess this is the best time to figure it out. This is the kind of schedule my life will take from now on, and I have to get use to fitting my priorities around a busy work schedule.

This program is nothing like university where I could pick and choose my class times and have spares throughout the day that would accommodate my need to go to the gym. It’s become a whole different ball game and I realize certain things may need to be pushed aside, moved, or forgotten about until I do the work that needs to be done. I need to overcome this mentality that if I can’t do something when I want to do it I just won’t do it at all. I need to schedule and make a list of my priorities outside of school that I want to accomplish every day or every other day and stick with it – this will be my personal challenge.

Here's some advice from the experts about using time wisely.

5 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree with you! I'm used to running every other day and now I have gone running once since school started. And like you said, the worst part is I am just too exhausted to even think about it.

    I wonder: if we just do it will the exhaustion go away and be replaced with feelings of needing to run?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yah for me it's a matter of getting to the gym. Once i'm there, I love it and could stay there for a few hours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a morning person, but I think I'll need to turn myself into one to get workouts in - like you, I'm completely exhausted after classes and hauling myself to the gym or even doing floor exercises is the last thing I want to do. I think what Margo Goodhand said about most journalists being exercise nuts makes sense - when you're that busy/stressed out, you need to have some time where your mind is completely turned off and your body is turned on (dirty joke not intentional, but I can't really think of another way to phrase it).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how we're so busy these days! But of course, that shouldn't be an excuse for us not to give our bodies its much needed workout.

    I used to be a gym-buff in my 20's and early 30's. I workout at least 4 hours each week on top of my trekking activity on weekends (Oh, how I miss the forest and hills of Borneo!) My exercise routine helped me to be fit, carry-on with my demanding job and delivered two healthy babies! After that, hmmm- it's another story. I cut down on my exercise routine to about 2 hours and as life got busier, I ended up with 30 minutes each day. Nowadayss, it's a totally different story! The only time I can exercise is when I do my dancing. Yes, dancing is my form exercise. I get my kids involved and they love it! I think if one is really determined to give herself a break, she'll be able to find that time and give her body a good relaxation through exercising. As for you Kiley, keep on going! Prioritize and you'll make it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've definitely put into words how I'm feeling. My treadmill misses me, I'm sure, it hasn't seen me in weeks. Nor have I done any kickboxing lately (miss it, despite being the worst beginner EVER). But it should be a priority for me. Thanks for the reminder, Kiley, and good luck reaching your own goals! :)

    ReplyDelete