23.4.10

Quit smoking, now it's time to be serious


A couple months back I saw a commercial for the birth control I take - Don't be surprised everyone I'm not saving myself for marriage. The commercial warned that there are some serious risks when taking the birth control, Yasmin. It was all the usual stuff, like women shouldn't smoke because of the risk of stroke. But it wasn't so much the risks as the fact that lots of women have been affect by the side effects after using this pill.

So, of course when I was at my Dr. I asked her about it. She said, "I wouldn't be worried about it, if you haven't had any problems at this point everything should be fine." Should be fine, what does that even mean? I expected her to tell me to quit right away, or what was I thinking smoking? But she didn't. So out of mind the worrying went, because why would I want to worry too much about something like that? After all, I'm young I'll be fine.

After a few months, the warnings came back to haunt me. While re-filling my prescription I noticed that right on the packing on a bright yellow sticker was the warning once again right in my face. It said, " Smoking while taking this pill can cause circulation and heart problems." Yikes, that scared the shit out of me especially after my mom had told me the day before that stroke and heart problems are prevalent on both sides of my family - good to know. I started worrying, I'm cold all the time especially in my fingers and toes, clear signals that my circulation isn't the greatest.

Needless to say this worries me a little bit. This brings me to two choices:
1. Stop taking the birth control, or
2. Quit smoking.
I choose option 2, quit smoking. This is a lot easier said then done. As some of you may remember I tried to quit smoking at the end of last term, so why not try again as this term and this year officially come to an end. Follow me as I try to quit smoking during the most toughest season to quit smoking - summer, patios and drinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment