1.10.10

Planning what? Confessions of a non-planner

I've never been one to plan, anything.  I just kinda go with the flow, and if it ends up biting me in the butt later than, well, I have no one to blame but myself.




Most of the time it works for me.  I've travelled around the world and only one time did I have most of my trip planned out.  Even then we deviated from the plan and almost missed a huge part of the trip, but there were unforseen circumstances, like our bus getting tear gased.  But if we had stuck to the plan I guess that wouldn't have happened.


Let's take Tuesday as the most recent example.  There was a bake sale at school and my boyfriend suggested that we make cream puffs, what were we thinking?  Cream puffs need to be refrigerated, hence the cream part.  Ok, covered.  I brought a cooler to school and figured I'm set.  NOT.  A cooler is not a fridge.  The cream melted and, of course, I didn't think to bring whip cream to school.  So, with melted cream on the cream puffs, I set out to Young's Market on William to get whip cream.  Needless to say that was a disaster, because not to many people had ever bought it.  I was stuck with moldy Cool Whip - one of the grossest things I've ever come across.  So the cream puffs were not all that creamy, but I'm told still super good.  Ugh, stress.


But I digress.  The point is I'm going in to the professional field of public relations, and it's high time I step it up and plan.  I'm going to need to be prepared not only for my sanity, but also the fact that I need to keep my clients happy.  I've heard other people mention that in second year CreComm Melanie talks about being prepared for EVERYTHING - absolutely everything - and having a "what if" kit.  This kind of terrifies me.  Not only because I'm not a planner and have NEVER really planned anything out in my whole life, but also what if I forget something?  I don't even know where I'd begin.


Can a non-planner be reformed?  I really hope so, because if I don't I have a long, hard road ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment