18.11.10

Editing reality


I’ve been sick the last couple of days, and like I’m sure you all know when you’re sick you really don’t want to do much – except lie on the couch and watch TV.  There isn’t much to watch on daytime TV, so I find myself watching “reality” TV.  Some stations are now entirely dedicated to “reality” TV, like Global reality and A&E.

But how real is the “reality” TV we watch?  For example, is Chef Ramsey on Hell’s Kitchen really that mean or is it all an act?  To be honest, I never really thought about how fake things on reality TV could be until I watch a CSI: Miami episode about a reality TV star that gets killed.  Horatio and his team find out that every single thing on that TV show is a shame – even the characters aren’t who they claim to be.  I know it’s only a TV show but it got me thinking.  Before I might have thought certain things on reality shows were staged, but now I’m questioning the entire existence of “reality” TV.  Needless to say, “reality” TV can’t get anywhere near as real as a documentary.




Here’s a thought, maybe it’s called “reality” TV because it changes the lives of real people.  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment