24.11.10

RRC Princess Street Campus, what’s the real name?



Since I started school here last year and since even before that I’ve been calling the RRC campus downtown the Princess Street Campus.  But it came to my attention last week that the campus might actually be called the Exchange District Campus.  So what is the campus actually called?

I can understand why the college might have all these names flying out there for the college.  The Exchange District Campus for one is an homage to the area and the combination of the old and new architecture.  The Princess Street Campus, on the other hand, is a signifier of where the campus is and makes it easy for people to find.  So how do you edit the name of a place to both blend it into the area and make it easy for people to find?

But wait, there’s another name to add to the list: Roblin Centre at the Exchange District Campus.  Will this name become THE name for the campus, or will it just be another name people use?

1 comment:

  1. I see where you're going with this and I agree. Personally, I think the name should have just changed to The Exchange District Campus. Maybe naming one of the William, Princess, or Adelaide wings after our notable ex-premier would have sufficed.

    The whole thing just sounds too wordy.

    ReplyDelete